Last Updated on June 15, 2014
Better WordPress Polldaddy Polls
Helps you add Polldaddy Polls to your WordPress website easily. This plugin focuses on the front end, i.e. you edit your polls on polldaddy.com and you choose how to show them on your website.
Sponsor Themes by Elegant Themes - Unlimited access to all themes for $39!
Who doesn’t need a poll these days on a website/blog? It might make your visitors interact more and keep them interested. And if you are going to choose a poll platform for a WordPress installation, look no further than Polldaddy — “the most powerful and easy to use” poll software around.
While this plugin isn’t as comprehensive as the original Automattic plugin PollDaddy Polls & Ratings, it does allow you to customizably show your polls to your visitors (yes, only polls). Below are some great features BWP Polldaddy offers you:
- Simple, lightweight and easy to use
- Allow you to update your polls manually or automatically using a configurable time settings
- Offer SSL support for paid Polldaddy accounts
- Display polls using widget
- Display polls using shortcode
- Display polls using template functions
- Limit the number of polls to display
- Sort polls based on IDs, creation date, numbers of responses, or sort randomly
- WordPress Multi-site compatible
First and foremost, BWP Polldaddy Polls needs a pair of API key and UserCode to function. If you don’t have one, you will not see any setting and the plugin will be put into a semi-deactivated mode, i.e. activated but not functional.
An API key can be registered for free here: http://polldaddy.com/register/. To generate a UserCode simply navigate to Settings > BWP Polldaddy, type in your newly-registered API key and then press “Get new UserCode”. If it goes well, you should be able to see your auto-generated UserCode as well as other plugin settings (i.e. the plugin is now fully activated).
There are two ways to update your polls, either manual or automatic (which is the default setting).
When manual update is on, simply press the “Clear cached Polls” button (right next to “Save Changes”) to update polls. Note that this button can also be used to force an update when automatic update is enabled.
BWP Polldaddy Polls also keeps a log of poll update which shows you some basic info on the last update, including the date and time when it is carried out and any error message if it is not successful. You can find the log in the Poll Stats section:
Note: If you rarely update your polls, it’s recommended to turn off automatic update and use manual update whenever you update your polls on polldaddy.com instead.
You can display Polldaddy polls on your website by using either widget, shortcode or template function.
Regardless of which method you use to display polls, output can be controlled with following parameters:
- id – a specific poll ID that you want to show, default is empty
- limit – the maximum number of polls to show, default is 1, 0 means no limit
- orderby – four possible values: ‘created’, ‘responses’, ‘id’ or ‘rand’ (i.e. random), default is ‘id’
- order – ‘desc’ to order descendingly and ‘asc’ for the opposite, default is ‘desc’
Some examples using parameters:
A picture is worth a thousand words, eh?
[bwp-polldaddy id="12345"] [bwp-polldaddy orderby="rand" limit=3] [bwp-polldaddy orderby="responses" order="asc" limit=3]
The shortcode’s name can be changed by filtering
bwp_polldaddy_shortcode_tag hook. Just make sure you return a string representing the name you desire.
Using template functions
- <?php bwp_polldaddy(); /*use all default parameters*/ ?>
- <?php bwp_polldaddy(array('id' => '12345')); ?>
- <?php bwp_polldaddy(array('orderby' => 'rand', 'limit' => 3)); ?>
- <?php bwp_polldaddy(array('orderby' => 'responses', order => 'asc', 'limit' => 3)); ?>
<?php bwp_polldaddy(); /*use all default parameters*/ ?> <?php bwp_polldaddy(array('id' => '12345')); ?> <?php bwp_polldaddy(array('orderby' => 'rand', 'limit' => 3)); ?> <?php bwp_polldaddy(array('orderby' => 'responses', order => 'asc', 'limit' => 3)); ?>
That’s it, enjoy this simple but very useful plugin
- (This section is open for feature request)
This plugin is licensed under GPL version 3, and it needs contributions from the community.
Buy me some special coffees!
My plugins and support for them are free. If you like my work and could buy me some (special) coffees, I would be much appreciated! They might help with some overnight times debugging my plugins, you know.
Support, Feedback, and Code Improvement
- Please report bugs to the BWP Community.
- WordPress Plugin Repository: please rate this plugin 5 stars if you like it, thanks!
i18n (Translate the plugin)
If you are a translator, please help translating this plugin. Even if you aren't, you can become one, it is very easy and fun! If you want to know how, please read here: Create a .pot or .po File using Poedit.